Our vision is to enable women to play their true role in all fields of life, and to help in the ushering in of the new race envisioned by Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
While great strides have been made in the matter of women’s empowerment in India as well as in several other countries, much more remains to be done. The Women’s Council strives to make a small contribution in this effort.
An integral part of the Sri Aurobindo Society, the Council focuses on all issues relevant to women, and helps them to awaken to the truth that all human beings are manifestations of one universal Self. As the Mother put it, “In regard to this Supreme Reality all are equal, men and women, in rights and in duties….”
The objectives of the Women’s Council are to:
- help woman to find herself, to understand herself and to make her aware of the inherent spiritual strength within her
- find and realise her aim in life
- develop and express her full potential
- prepare her, spiritually and materially, to play her true role in all aspects of collective life
- channel her talents, enthusiasm and energies to build a new future
Regarding the attitude one must take towards work, Sri Aurobindo’s words guide us:
“Try to realise the strength within you, try to bring it forward, so that everything you do may be not your doing, but the doing of the Truth within you.”
The activities of the Council are at two levels: at the individual level, its emphasis is on raising one’s consciousness to a higher level of functioning, and at the collective level, the Council organises various activities:
- Educational and vocational training sessions
- Work and research in pre-natal education
- Parent-teacher programmes
- Annual three-day seminars are held on 21, 22, 23 of November. Open to both women and men, these seminars are an exercise in inner search and true understanding from an integral perspective, helped and encouraged by Sri Aurobindo and the Mother speaking through their writings.
- Awakening to the Beauty of the Future – a monthly bulletin in English, focusing on woman and her inner growth, in the light of Sri Aurobindo’s vision of the future, is published by the Council. Those participating in the Council’s work are encouraged to subscribe to this bulletin.
A noteworthy feature of our work for women is that men are equally welcome to participate in all of the Council’s activities.
For a full list of Publications and Products on Women, please visit the SAS online store at AuroService.
The Sri Aurobindo Society aims to bring together all those who would like to work for the advent of a new world. Participate with us—come visit, volunteer, contribute, learn and grow in a way and in a field that interests you.