Integral Education regards the child as a growing soul and helps him to bring out all that is best, most powerful, most innate and living in his nature. It helps the child develop all facets of his personality and awaken his latent possibilities so that he acquires
India Council for Integral Education (ICIE)
and Sri Aurobindo Foundation for Integral Education and Research (SAFIER)
Education is meant to maximise one's potential and help one integrate with one's true self, surroundings, society, country and humanity. SAFIER and ICIE aspire to work to bring about this change in education in India and the world. SAFIER & ICIE collaborate with other educational institutions in India and abroad, in a supportive and sharing partnership.
ICIE is an affiliate of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), a US based premier nonprofit organization serving educators and education leaders throughout the world.
Rupantar, one of our special initiatives, is a strategically designed initiative that targets the highest impact areas in Education with innovative solutions to transform an entire state education system in India. This initiative is being carried out by our implemention partner Litchi Knowledge Center.
More information on our educational work is available at our micro-site www.education.aurosociety.org
The work undertaken by these institutes includes
- AuroSchools: Model nurseries, kindergartens, primary and secondary schools are being established, where learning is joyful and creative. The focus is on developing faculties like concentration, imagination, critical thinking and deeper values like truthfulness, courage, compassion. A special emphasis is laid on making the best use of the latest technology for the transformation of education more widely and effectively.
- Under ICIE, a Residential Teacher Training Institute and a Model Integral Education School, based on the principles of Integral Education (IE), is being planned.
- Developing an IE Curriculum: Preparation of an entire IE Curriculum is on the anvil.
- Teacher training programmes are organised in Puducherry and other parts of India to orient teachers and parents to the concepts of Integral Education. There is a constant endeavour to bring in new elements in the syllabus and pedagogy.
- Resource materials including well-written and beautifully illustrated books, audio and video CDs, games and toys of all types are being developed. These educational aids will be of the highest quality and affordable for wide distribution in India and other countries. The following projects are underway:
- Faculty & Quality Development: Work on preparing resource materials on developing various faculties and qualities in a child.
- Physical Education Project: Here, the focus is on helping educational institutes to have a physical education programme that is holistic and could be implemented in minimum space and with minimum equipment.
- Nature Projects: A work on the concept of Sustainability based on Sri Aurobindo and the Mother's writings. A Flower CD, introducing the deeper significance of flowers, is being prepared.
- Pre-natal Education Project
- E-learning: The widely spreading use of electronic media in India has opened up a new and inexpensive means for reaching out to the remotest and poorest corners of the country. Full use is made of ICT, e-learning and distance education to make the process of education more effective, meaningful and enjoyable.
- Children's Corners: Informal learning centres where children from a locality can come together and learn in an environment of fun and joy. These centres, which function after school hours under the guidance and supervision of facilitators, supplement the prevailing system of education in schools.
For a full list of Publications and Products on Education, please visit the SAS online store at AuroService.
The Sri Aurobindo Society aims to bring together all those who would like to work for the advent of a new world. Participate with us—come visit, volunteer, contribute, learn and grow in a way and in a field that interests you.